Sunday, September 30, 2012

9.30.12 Bench cushions, electrical & insulation


9.30.12

And I shall name her  “TIN LIZZY”………This weekend was all about Electrical, insulation, bench cushions, and fielding phone calls from my girlfriends wondering why I hadn’t filled them in on my little project.  I kept it quiet out of fear that A.  It wouldn’t get completed and B.  It wouldn’t get completed.    But now that I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel, I’m happy to share my obsession.  It has really sparked interest in my girlfriends and we are already making plans to take “Tin Lizzy” out and about.
Electrical was all about getting a very detailed lesson from the very generous, and very knowledgeable Lowes employee. Who knew? Made some decisions as to where to put the electrical box, and outlets, lights, etc. and began the wiring. 



The benches were very easy however a little painful on the pocketbook. Was able to get the 5” thick foam at Joanns on sale for 50% off. Purchased 2 full pieces and will have some slivers of foam left over due to the awkward size of the benches. Also used a 50% coupon given to me by the nice lady in line who had an extra to purchase the Fabric. I bought 6 yards (with the advice of a tutorial I found online) and have plenty left over. I chose a good, sturdy leather looking vinyl.
Step by step: I measured the benches, made a square frame, and attached a sheet of the inner paneling. Cut the foam with a bread knife, and laid it on top of the frame. Covered it with batting, and then the fabric, flipped the whole thing over, pulled the fabric really tight and stapled it down. I added Velcro to the back of the upper cushion to keep it upright.



 Also began insulating the outside with rigid foam insulation.  Had to be sure to cut it exact so it fits tight and stays in place on the curves.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment